In the US there are about 100,000 emergency room admissions due to plant poisonings each year. To not fall victim to those pretty, but dangerous, flowers, check out this list we’ve carefully collected for you to help you out in the US and while traveling abroad.
We at Smashingabs.com are big on warning you guys about dangers and also highlighting all the amazing floral things that exist in the world. So let’s start our little, yet helpful, plant tour. Cool stuff, cool stuff, cool stuff
1. Dangerous: Bleeding Tooth Fungus
The “bleeding” vision of this mushroom should warn you about its properties. Found in Europe and North America’s Pacific Northwest, it is inedible (though not really toxic). If you dare to take a bite the taste of bitter pepper will fill your mouth.
It won’t kill you, but nausea and your gag reflex will be triggered which may leave you dehydrated afterward. Cool stuff, cool stuff, cool stuff
2. Dangerous: Red Cup Mushroom
This is also commonly known under the poetic name “scarlet elf cup.” As pretty as it is and as convenient as it looks, red cup fungus is not edible. You can go ahead and try to gather some water from the stream with it — but this is the extent of its use. Cool stuff, cool stuff, cool stuff
It is fairly common in several areas in North America and in large quantities it can be harmful for humans. It also doesn’t really have any nutritional value and is pretty dry.
3. Dangerous: White snakeroot
This innocent looking flower was the cause of the death of Nancy Hanks, Abraham Lincoln’s mother, and many others. It is so toxic that it can be passed from cows to humans through their milk. Symptoms of this poisoning are brutal, sometimes resulting in death.
With mass production in milk we have this danger almost eliminated, yet milk poisonings still occur to this day.